Mesas & Trails
Mesa Verde & Durango Jeep Tour
About the Trip
Combining a visit to Mesa Verde with a Jeep Tour in La Plata Canyon is one of the best ways to experience Southwest Colorado’s rich history and impeccable scenery all in one day. On this tour, you’ll start your morning off better than anyone else by exploring the top sites of Mesa Verde National Park.
After you’ve experienced the fascinating history of the Ancestral Puebloans and the largest cliff dwellings in North America, you’ll become immersed in the jaw dropping scenery of La Plata Canyon outside of Durango, Colorado. Here, waterfalls and old mining cabins line the off roading trail that leads to Rocky Mountain peaks. Along the way, you may catch sight of the abundant wildlife that lives here, including fox, marmot, deer, and maybe a bear if you’re lucky!
March – October
Mesas & Trails
This one-day package gives you a perfect mix of Southwest Colorado history, combining the world-renowned archaeological sites of Mesa Verde National Park and the spectacular scenery of La Plata Canyon’s old mining hubs.
Payment & Cancellations
- 1/2 down, 1/2 charged 30 days prior to trip.
- 1/3 down with remaining balance charged in thirds.
- Call for other arrangements!
FREE COURTESY HOLD
We don’t want you to miss out on this trip so we’ll hold your spots, payment-free, for 24hrs while you make your final arrangements & prepare for payment.
Receive a 90% refund 36 hours or more before the trip.
In addition to the listed trip cost, we collect an additional 8% for River and Land Access Fees (ie. Forest Service, BLM, City, Private Land Use).
Mesas & Trails
The drive between Mancos and our Durango office is about 45 minutes. Be sure to plan for this!
You are on your own for lunch and will have around 45 minutes to grab something in Durango, or on the way back from Mancos. Feel free to pack snacks for both tours!
Colorado Car Seat Law states children up to 8 years old must be in an appropriate car seat. Please bring your own.
Summer is cool in the morning and hot by the afternoon. In fall and spring the temperatures / weather can fluctuate quite a bit. So bring layers with you just in case! The guides usually have blankets as well.
La Plata Canyon is prone to afternoon rain showers! Bring some rain gear.
What to Wear & Bring
- Dress in layers: T-shirt, sweat shirt and a warm jacket (Spring & Fall tours especially)
- Warm Hat & Gloves (Spring & Fall Tours)
- Sun Hat
- Rain Jacket (for La Plata Canyon especially)
- Light Hiking Shoes
- Water Bottle – the guides will have water for refills!
MESA VERDE TOUR:
- Witness the largest archaeological preserve and cliff dwelling in the United States.
- Explore ancient ruins atop the mesa for a snapshot into North American life 1,500 years ago.
- Mesa Verde is so saturated with artifacts, pottery shards and arrowheads still scatter the ground throughout the park.
- Views of the lush canyons, everlasting valleys, and surrounding mountain ranges are incredible sites all their own.
- Experience a National Park that comes with serenity, where traffic is always light and sites can be enjoyed without crowds.
DURANGO JEEP TOUR:
- Stunning panoramic vistas
- Tumbling waterfalls and cascading creeks
- Old mining remnants from a deserted ghost town
- Fascinating geology along the La Plata River Canyon
- Wildlife: elk herds, juncos, bald eagles, marmot, moose, bear, deer
- Gorgeous Colorado wildflowers in Spring
- Large aspen groves that make for amazing Fall colors
- Adventurous roads where you would not want to drive or take your own vehicle!
- Interpretive, knowledgeable guides