One Day Rockwood Gorge Section
About This Trip
This trip is currently unavailable. See our Needleton Section for available Upper Animas trips.
When the waters of the Animas River recede, fear not adrenaline junkies! The Rockwood Gorge becomes the section of choice for the Upper Animas with its big drops and channeled flow.
Due to the intensity of this particular stretch, we can only raft Rockwood Gorge at low water levels in paddle boats. This narrow and steep canyon offers exhilarating Class II and III rapids with several large Class IV’s and two Class V’s— “Mandatory Thrash” and “Dangerocity.”
For the put-in and take-out of this remote adventure, the only access is from Durango Train in the heart of Colorado’s largest wilderness area. And since this gorge is so isolated, we’re required to exit the canyon with a 3/4 mile hike to the railroad tracks. You’ll carry out your personal rafting gear, and the guides carry the boats.
Every participant must be a strong swimmer and able to constantly paddle through fabulously frothy and highly technical whitewater. An orientation is required to run this roaring section of the Animas River with us.
Upper Animas, One-Day Rockwood trips start at $499.
This trip is currently unavailable for the 2023 season. See our Needleton Section for available Upper Animas trips.
13 foot self-bailing rafts rigged as a paddle boat. Be ready to paddle and swim on your pre-trip orientation!
Payment & Cancellations
- 1/2 down, 1/2 charged 30 days prior to trip.
- 1/3 down with remaining balance charged in thirds.
- Call for other arrangements!
Free Courtesy Hold
We don’t want you to miss out on this trip so we’ll hold your spots, payment-free, for 24hrs while you make your final arrangements & prepare for payment.
In addition to the listed trip cost, we collect an additional 9% for River and Land Access Fees (ie. Forest Service, BLM, City, Private Land Use).
Receive an 80% refund with written notice 5 days prior to trip departure. Less notice, unfortunately there will be no refund.
At Upper Animas orientation, if it determined this river is not right for you, for 1 day trips you may apply the trip cost to another available trip, less $250 per person for the nonrefundable train ticket & orientation. Train tickets may be able to be transferred depending on the train’s availability. We conform to the Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad cancellation policy.
Trip Insurance through RoamRight is recommended to help cover unforeseen circumstances.
* Please note that all itineraries are subject to change due to river conditions.
· Orientation is at 4:45 the evening prior to your scheduled trip and is 100% required. Orientation will include a practice raft trip and a swim through a Class II+ to III+ rapid, so come with a swimsuit and be prepared to get wet!
· Plan 2 to 3 hours for this orientation. If you need to schedule for a different time, there is a $50/person charge.
· All participants must be in outstanding physical shape. When rafting, it is important to choose the trip that matches the level of the least adventurous and least physically fit person in your group. It is dangerous to ignore physical limitations.
· After orientation, if it is determined that the Upper Animas is not the right trip for you, we will move you to a more suitable river. See our Cancellation Policy for rescheduling fees.
· As the season progresses and water levels change, we reserve the right to change river sections based on the type of trip you are looking for and your abilities.
· All itineraries are subject to change due to water conditions
What to Wear & Bring
- Wetsuit (available for rent)
- Wetsuit boots all season (available for rent)
- Splash Jacket (available for free)
- Fleece jacket and fleece socks
- Swimsuit/Quick drying clothing
- Hat (that fits under your helmet)
- Sunglasses with a strap
- Water bottle
- Camera with waterproof case
Rockwood Camp Out Option
Want to experience the excitement of rafting the Upper Animas AND the starry skies of the Weminuche Wilderness in one trip? Our Camp Out trip is for you!
Meet at our main office at 11:00 AM on the first day of your excursion. You’ll get you suited up for the river and the head out for your orientation on the Lower Animas section in Durango.
After you’ve nailed the orientation, we’ll depart for Silverton (with lunch provided on the way) and board the Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad for your shuttle into the canyon. The train will let us off at the camp site, where you’ll have time to relax, wander, and enjoy your time in this beautiful wilderness while our guides prepare dinner.
After a peaceful night under the stars, wake up to hot coffee and breakfast before taking down camp, loading the gear back on the train, and beginning your exhilarating day of whitewater rafting!
Request Campout Info