Gates of Lodore Rafting
Dinosaur National Monument
Gates of Lodore Trip Highlights
· Gargantuan geologic features like the Mitten Park Fault, Steamboat Rock, and “The Gates.”
· Exciting Class III rapid sections throughout the trip.
· Waterfalls, petroglyphs and wildflowers hidden along side canyon creeks.
· Forested campsites that offer more opportunities to explore.
· Human history dating back from Powell’s 1869 Expedition to the Fremont People 2,000 years ago.
· Wildlife galore! Big horned sheep, bald eagles, deer, fox, otters, and more.
· The spectacularly scenic Yampa River confluence in Echo Park.
· The fossil filled Quarry Exhibit—an optional visit at the end of your trip.
Dinosaur National Monument
May – August
Class of Rapids
II – III
Low Water: Ages 7+
High Water: 12+
About This Trip
The Gates of Lodore is undeniably one of the most special river trips on the continent. Throughout its 43-mile journey from Colorado to Utah, this section of the Green River unravels a rare wilderness seldom ever see. In the meander between billion-year-old quartzite cliffs, days in Lodore are spent completely in the present as we dive into a world of exhilarating whitewater, jaw dropping landscapes, majestic wildlife, and astounding archaeology.
Within the first 10 miles of the journey, Lodore Canyon brings on the froth. Named in 1869 by the Powell Expedition, Disaster Falls sends rafters through an exhilarating Class III drop. Soon after we paddle through Triplet Falls, Hell’s Half Mile, and plenty of other Class II – III drops and wave trains in the days to come.
High water season is typically in early June when the Flaming Gorge Reservoir has its dam release. After the Yampa River confluence, the river’s volume picks up along with the splashes to expect through Split Mountain towards the end of the trip.
The Sites & Camping
Some of the gems to explore in Lodore Canyon include the Rippling Brook waterfall, the Whispering Cave in Echo Park, and the petroglyphs up Jone Hole Creek or Island Park. Also, multiple shady camps provide lush trails and side canyons to get an extra dose of exploring in for the day.
For camp, we arrive each day on a beach beneath beautiful cottonwood trees and sculpted precipices. As the guides set up a comfortable living space (kitchen, common area, bathroom, etc.) along with 3-course dinners and filling breakfasts, you’ll have the time and space to unwind however you like. As for lunch, we usually lay out the spread near a site we’ll be exploring or before a rapid section.
Lodore Canyon, and Dinosaur National Monument at large, is an incredibly special place given that it was nearly put underwater by two dams in the 1950s. We are incredibly thankful to the headstrong environmentalists and devoted river runners who saved this spectacular wilderness for public enjoyment. We hope to maintain their legacy for generations to come, and all who wish to float through the Gates of Lodore.
Our Gates of Lodore trips continue on the legacy of Adventure Bound River Expeditions, combined with the legendary customer service and expertise of Mild to Wild Rafting & Jeep tours.
Payments & Cancellations
- 1/2 down, 1/2 charged 60 days prior to trip.
- 1/3 down with remaining balance charged in thirds by 60 days prior.
- Call for other arrangements!
Free Courtesy Hold
We don’t want you to miss out on this trip so we’ll hold your spots, payment-free, for 24hrs while you make your final arrangements & prepare for payment.
In addition to the listed trip cost, we collect an additional 9% for River and Land Access Fees (ie. Forest Service, BLM, NPS, City, Private Land Use).
- 60+ days: Receive a refund less $200 per person unrecoverable fees.
- 45+ days: Reschedule for another trip/date, or receive Mild to Wild gift certificate less $200 per person.
- Less than 45 days, unfortunately there will be no refund.
- RoamRight Travel Insurance is recommended to help cover unforeseen circumstances, such as cancelled flights, sickness or medical evacuations.
- Guests needing to be evacuated from the canyon will be charged a minimum of $1,000 per person.
From the moment we entered through The Gates into Lodore Canyon until the takeout, we were surrounded by beautiful scenery. Passing through the multiple geological formations really put us face to face with the amazing…
Michael WolfthalClick to read more
Surprised and very pleased that you would assign such experienced guides to our small party. Lynn was great. Obviously very experienced. Scotty was perhaps the best guide we’ve ever had in five years of rafting.…
J. David HoltClick to read more
Scotty, Lynn and Reese were wonderful guides for this trip!
Nick GianoutsosClick to read more
We had a wonderful 3-day rafting trip on the Green River. Our guides, Ellen, Emma, and Shana were wonderful. So much fun, and made us feel right at home on the river, despite many different…
John LaPlanteClick to read more
This is our second trip with Mild to Wild. Again outstanding trip. Staff was excellent. Will be back next year for another adventure
Kristean ThorpeClick to read more
Mild to Wild Rafting is proud to be an authorized concessioner of Dinosaur National Monument.
Want more information about our Gates of Lodore Trips?
Join our Lodore Canyon email list, and we’ll send you all the details you need to start planning your expedition down the Green River!