One Day Silverton Rafting Trip
About This Trip
This Trip is Currently Unavailable. See our Needleton Section for available Upper Animas trips.
Are you ready for some of the biggest, baddest whitewater in the country? Then get your neoprene out on the Silverton section of the Upper Animas River! This rowdy run comes with constant Class II and III rapids, plenty of Class IV’s, and pair of Class V’s that you’ll be talking about for the rest of your life.
The start of the Silverton section is incredibly scenic, where snowcapped fourteeners loom along the horizon before rafters float into the river’s first towering canyon. Once you’ve crossed this threshold, bigger waves and technical runs are soon to follow as you drift farther away from the historic train tracks of Durango Silverton Narrow Gauge. Don’t worry though, you’ll meet them again at the trip’s end for your ride back to civilization.
At high water in late May to early June, this trip is considered extreme. All participants must have excellent physical fitness, and will be required to pass a swim test before being eligible to join us on this roaring ribbon of whitewater. After all, Upper Animas is the most difficult commercially run river in the United States.
Upper Animas, One Day Silverton trips start at $499.
This Trip is Currently Unavailable for the 2023 Season. See our Needleton Section for available Upper Animas trips.
15 foot self-bailing rafts rigged as an oar boat with paddle assist. Be ready to paddle and swim on your pre-trip orientation (and possibly on the trip itself)!
Payment & Cancellations
- 1/2 down, 1/2 charged 30 days prior to trip.
- 1/3 down with remaining balance charged in thirds.
- Call for other arrangements!
Free Courtesy Hold
We don’t want you to miss out on this trip so we’ll hold your spots, payment-free, for 24hrs while you make your final arrangements & prepare for payment.
In addition to the listed trip cost, we collect an additional 9% for River and Land Access Fees (ie. Forest Service, BLM, City, Private Land Use).
Receive an 80% refund with written notice 5 days prior to trip departure. Less notice, unfortunately there will be no refund.
At Upper Animas orientation, if it determined this river is not right for you, for 1 day trips you may apply the trip cost to another available trip, less $250 per person for the nonrefundable train ticket & orientation. Train tickets may be able to be transferred depending on the train’s availability. We conform to the Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad cancellation policy.
Trip Insurance through RoamRight is recommended to help cover unforeseen circumstances.
DAY 1 ITINERARY
* Please note that all itineraries are subject to change due to river conditions.
· Orientation is at 4:45 the evening prior to your scheduled trip and is 100% required. Orientation will include a practice raft trip and a swim through a Class II+ to III+ rapid, so come with a swimsuit and be prepared to get wet!
· Plan 2 to 3 hours for this orientation. If you need to schedule for a different time, there is a $50/person charge.
· All participants must be in outstanding physical shape. When rafting, it is important to choose the trip that matches the level of the least adventurous and least physically fit person in your group. It is dangerous to ignore physical limitations.
· After orientation, if it is determined that the Upper Animas is not the right trip for you, we will move you to a more suitable river. See our Cancellation Policy for rescheduling fees.
· As the season progresses and water levels change, we reserve the right to change river sections based on the type of trip you are looking for and your abilities.
· All itineraries are subject to change due to water conditions
What to Wear & Bring
- Wetsuit (available for rent)
- Wetsuit boots all season (available for rent)
- Splash Jacket (available for free)
- Fleece jacket and fleece socks
- Swimsuit/Quick drying clothing
- Hat (that fits under your helmet)
- Sunglasses with a strap
- Water bottle
- Camera with waterproof case