Getting to Durango, CO
Where is Durango and How to Get Here
Where is Durango?
Durango is located in the Southwest corner of Colorado. Nestled beneath the San Juan National Forest, this mid-size town runs along the Animas River. The New Mexico state line is 25 miles south, Utah’s is 89 miles west and Arizona’s is kitty-corner by 85 miles. The closest major cities include Albuquerque, Denver, and Salt Lake City.
Getting to Durango By Air
There are several international airports within 1/2 to a full day’s drive from Durango. These larger hubs will have international and domestic flights arriving multiple times a day. From the international airport, you can either rent a car or use a connecting flight to a smaller regional airport that is even closer to Durango. Durango has a small regional airport with flights daily to and from the major international airports listed below.
International Airports Durango
- Albuquerque International Sunport: 217 miles
- Denver International Airport: 361 miles
- Salt Lake City International Airport: 391 miles
Regional Airports Near Durango
- Durango- La Plata County Regional AIrport: 15 miles
- Grand Junction Regional Airport: 173 miles
- Telluride Regional Airport (connections to Denver only): 110 miles
Getting to Durango by Car
Durango is the perfect destination for a road trip. Since this corner pocket of Colorado is a full day’s drive from major cities, it’s a bit off the beaten path. On the way, there are tons of attractions from Durango, no matter what direction you are coming from or going to. Here’s some information on the drive times to expect as well as some destinations you will want to visit on your drive to and from Durango.
- Albuquerque: 215 miles south | 3.5-hour drive
- Denver is 337 miles north | 6-hour drive
- Salt Lake City is 339 miles northwest | 6.5 drive