About Guide Instruction
Mild to Wild Rafting and Jeep Tours is proud to offer a state certified, professional, quality whitewater rafting instructional certification course for those interested in becoming professional raft guides, or those wanting to learn raft navigation and rigging. The course exceeds both the Colorado State requirements and the Arizona State requirements for guide certification. We operate in Durango, Telluride, & Moab. Upon completion, you will meet the requirements to guide in all three locations.
2018 Instructional Guide Courses
Who: Anyone who desires to learn river navigation of a raft for private or commercial trips. Learn both oar and paddle boat navigational skills.
Prerequisites: 15 years of age for a course, 18 years of age to guide in the state of Colorado
Where: Southwest Area Rivers (see course description below for details)
Why Mild to Wild’s Instructional Course
- The whitewater experts for 24 years, Mild to Wild has trained hundreds of guides.
- Instructors are state certified to teach.
- Learn to read the river, not memorize the route (which changes as the water levels change).
- Learn to operate paddle rafts and oar-rigged rafts.
- Learn rescue techniques.
- We teach you to be the complete guide from guest services, safety, to rigging, to rescue, how to provide the best guest experience.
- Possibility for employment in Durango, Moab, & Telluride
- Possibility to guide legendary multi-day trips on the Colorado, Green, & Yampa rivers
Upon completion of either course, you will exceed the requirements of a Class III river guide (subject to completion of separate first-aid and CPR training). These are intensive courses that emphasize skill training and personal development among the spectacular setting of deep rock canyons and river corridors.
Tuition includes state certified instructors, transportation from our meeting point, PFD (life jacket), helmet and boating equipment.
Skills training will include:
- Leadership and Group Dynamics
- Guest Care, Camp and Meal Preparation
- Crew Orientation
- River Rescue
- Raft Rigging
- River Reading and River Navigation in both Oar and Paddle Boat Rafts
Certified Comprehensive Guide School
When: May 9th – May 23rd, 2018
Our 14-day (15 days with 1 day off) comprehensive whitewater rafting guide training course will certify participants as Colorado Class III river guides. The course covers all aspects of guiding a river trip and is perfect for the person who would like to become a fully certified guide. Skills training will include leadership, group dynamics, meal preparation, crew orientation, river rescue, raft rigging and river navigation for multi-day and single day raft trips. Upon completion, all participants will exceed the requirements for a Colorado Class III river guide. This course includes a day and a half on the Colorado River, two days on the San Miguel and one day on the Piedra, with the remainder of the class days on Durango’s Lower Animas River. Upon completion of the course, guides who are hired on will have the opportunity to guide in Moab, Durango, & Telluride in addition to assisting on legendary multi-day trips on the Colorado, Green, & Yampa rivers.
In addition to the provisions listed above, this course also includes camping with Mild to Wild and food while camping. (Camping gear not included.)
State Certified Basic Guide Course
When: June 4th – June 13th, 2018
This 10-day course is perfect for anyone seeking employment as a raft guide or anyone interested in private boating. We will cover all aspects of guiding a river trip: boats, helmets, technical gear, leadership, group dynamics, crew orientation, river rescue, guest service, interpretation, raft rigging and river navigation. At the end of the course, participants will meet the requirements to be a Class III Colorado state raft guide, and can apply to work at Mild to Wild in Moab, Durango, & Telluride! We will be hiring!
- It is highly recommended that participants take advantage of our wetsuit package which includes a wetsuit, wetsuit boots, and a splash jacket. This package costs $50 for the whole course.
- Full payment is due at time of enrollment.
- Cancellation Policy: Full refund less $100 with written notice 30 days prior to class, within 30 days of the class there will be no refund for canceling.
- Completing guide school does not guarantee a job with Mild to Wild.
- We recommend arriving with current first-aid and CPR certifications.