Guide Certification Courses in Colorado & Utah
About Guide Instruction
Mild to Wild Rafting and Jeep Tours is proud to offer a state-certified, professional, quality whitewater rafting instructional certification course for those interested in becoming professional raft guides, or those wanting to learn raft navigation and rigging. The course exceeds the state requirements of Arizona, Colorado and Utah for guide certification. We operate in Durango, Telluride, & Moab.
Due to the seasonal nature of rafting, Mild to Wild is limited to training qualified applicants who can commit to the following:
- Available for employment immediately after guide school.
- Able to work 5 days a week.
- Limits vacation days to 2 days during our peak season from June 10th to August 12th.
- No vacations during the 4th of July weekend.
- Available to work some of days off during the peak season.
Why Mild to Wild’s Instructional Course
- The whitewater experts for 25 years, Mild to Wild has trained hundreds of guides.
- Instructors are state certified to teach.
- Learn to read the river, not memorize the route (which changes as the water levels change).
- Learn to operate paddle rafts and oar-rigged rafts.
- Learn rescue techniques.
- We teach you to be the complete guide from guest services, safety, to rigging, to rescue, how to provide the best guest experience.
- Possibility for employment in Durango, Moab, & Telluride
- Possibility to guide legendary multi-day trips on the Colorado, Green, & Yampa rivers
Skills training will include:
- Leadership and Group Dynamics
- Guest Care, Camp and Meal Preparation
- Crew Orientation
- River Rescue
- Raft Rigging
- River Reading and River Navigation in both Oar and Paddle Boat Rafts
Upon completion of either course, you will exceed the requirements of a Class III river guide (subject to completion of separate first-aid and CPR training). These are intensive courses that emphasize skill training and personal development among the spectacular setting of deep rock canyons and river corridors.
Tuition includes state certified instructors, transportation from our meeting point, PFD (life jacket), helmet and boating equipment.
- It is highly recommended that participants take advantage of our wetsuit package which includes a wetsuit, wetsuit boots, and a splash jacket. This package costs $50 for the whole course.
- Full payment is due at time of enrollment.
- Cancellation Policy: Full refund less $100 with written notice 30 days prior to class, within 30 days of the class there will be no refund for canceling.
- Completing guide school does not guarantee a job with Mild to Wild.
- We recommend arriving with current first-aid and CPR certifications.