The Lower Piedra River
1 Day Trip on the Lower Box of the Piedra in Southwest Colorado near Pagosa Springs
Lower Piedra River Rafting Description:
Paddle through 1,000 foot deep canyons, alpine forests, heart pounding whitewater and then stop at a soothing riverside hot springs while you experience this exquisite Rocky Mountain jewel! Dropping down some of the biggest drops we run on any river, Piedra River rafting
provides a true adrenaline rush. “The River of Stone Wall” (Piedra means rock) lives up to its name with towering granite walls, and a boulder-strewn river bed. Highly regulated by the Forest Service, this river has restricted access to maintain its pristine, wilderness nature. Whitewater river rafting satisfaction is guaranteed on the stair-step, “big drop,” pool rapids.
The Two Day trip of Piedra River rafting combines the Upper Box
and the Lower Box into one multi-day adventure! Starting at the headwaters of the Piedra River on the Upper Box, we “warm up” by bumping and grinding our way through technical rapids as we watch creek after creek cascade into the river. As the river volume grows, so do the rapids, especially as we enter the Lower Box which escalates the river to a raging torrent of huge drops and chutes. Bear and elk are often spotted along the banks of the Piedra River trail and if we are really lucky, they are forging the river in front of us! And maybe you’ll even discover freshwater otters playing in the mountain waters of the Piedra River. This two day adventure delivers excitement, relaxation and rejuvenation!
• Does the Piedra not offer the non-stop whitewater action you’re looking for? Well, the Upper Animas
• Is your group looking for something a little more kid friendly? The San Miguel
is great for ages 8 and up!
Both sections of the Piedra River (Upper & Lower Box) are some of the most highly restricted and regulated rivers in Colorado. Reserve your seats early…or hope for a cancellation!
Click here for directions to the Piedra River.
Lower Box Piedra River Trip Highlights
- Highly restricted access by the Forest Service
- Pristine, preserved wilderness area
- Pool-drop river with very distinct drops
- Riverside Natural Hot Springs
- Lush, alpine rain forest type setting
- Colorado wildlife
Special Ways We Care for You on the Lower Piedra River
- Low guide to guest ratio, with an average of 4 guests to 1 guide
- Safety boater included on all Lower Piedra River rafting trips
- Highly trained, professional trip leaders with an average of 2,000 river miles experience (the state requires only 750 miles)
- Thermal wetsuits available for rental including the 5.5 mm wetsuit, 2.5 mm jacket and wetsuit boots
- Multi-faceted Satellite/Spot communication systems to increase safety
- Different boat options for various water levels and adventure desires
Lower Piedra River Rafting Trip Options
Click here for recommendations on Durango Lodging.
Piedra Two Day Trip
The Greatest Rocky Mountain Jewel in Colorado White Water Rafting!
Combining the Upper and Lower Box of the Piedra Rive culminates in a trip that cannot be beat in beauty and excitement! Cost: $425* • Departs: 9:00
Piedra River Double Box
Two for One – That is The Two Day Trip in One Day!
When high water comes to the Piedra River we tackle the technical medium rapids of the Upper section and the huge drops of the Lower Section all in one day!
Cost: $255* • Departs: 8:00
Lower Piedra One Day Trip
Adrenaline Rush of Big Drops
Experience the drops of big Class IV rapids and the warmth of a soak in a riverside hot spring. An exclusive river rafting adventure for the high adventurer!
Cost: $195* • Departs: 9:00