Upper Piedra River Whitewater Rafting1 Day Trip on the Upper Box of the Piedra River in Southwest Colorado near Pagosa Springs, Colorado
|Piedra River Upper Box Information|
|Location:||Outside Pagosa Springs|
|Adventure Level:||Rafting: Intermediate|
|Class:||High Water: Class II, III & IV- Rapids
Low Water: Class II & Class III+ Rapids
|Season:||Mid May – Early July|
|Restrictions:||Raft: • Ages 12 and up
• Physical fitness required with ability to hike out of the canyon 2 hours if necessary!
• Wetsuits Required (Rentals Available)
|Current Water Levels|
Upper Piedra River Rafting Description:Splash through whitewater rapids in this pristine wilderness waterway as you spin around rocks and drop through chutes. Start at the head waters and paddle through lush alpine forest as creeks cascade into the river forming numerous, technical Class II rapids. As the river volume increases, the rapids build to Class III “wet and fun” rapids and the bigger drops of two stair step, pool drop Class IV rapids. These stair step, pool drop rapids leave you thrilled as you travel through a jagged canyon on Colorado’s most restricted and regulated river.
The Upper Piedra River rafting fun does not need to stop here for those ages 16 and up! Stay in the canyon with us a night and enjoy an evening of delicious food and fun in camp, sleep under the starry skies on a comfortable pad or cot in a tent and then, venture into the box canyon of the Lower section (Lower Box of the Piedra River), with its big, pool drop Class IV+ rapids.
• Looking for an intermediate trip with smaller drops? The San Miguel could be your river rafting savior!
• Intermediate not high adventure enough for you? Take a look at the Lower Piedra or the Upper Animas!
Click here for directions to the Piedra River.
Upper Piedra River Trip Highlights:
- Highly restricted access by the Forest Service
- Pristine wilderness area
- Pool drop river
- Lush, alpine, rain forest type setting
- Colorado wildlife
Special Ways We Care for You on the Upper Piedra River
- Low guide to guest ratio, with an average of 4-6 guests to 1 guide
- Safety boater included on single boat trips, or trip operated with 2 boats for safety
- Highly trained, professional trip leaders with an average of 2,000 river miles experience
- Thermal wetsuits available for rental including the 5.5 mm wetsuit, 2.5 mm jacket and wetsuit boots
- Multi-faceted Satellite/Spot communication systems to increase safety
- Different boat options for various water levels and adventure desires