What to do with a Small Ammo Can on the River
By Molly • November 27, 2012
What does Guide Kira keep in her Ammo Can? I remember one of the first days I started working at Mild to Wild, the owner walked in and said “If the guy selling ammo cans comes around, we want them,” and that was it. I was pretty confused, but didn’t want to show my ignorance so just smiled and nodded. Well, now I understand how handy those little watertight boxes can be on the river so I talked to Guide Kira about what she thinks are the most important things to keep in her raft-side ammo can on a white water adventure. Here’s what she said:
- Sunscreen & lip balm with SPF – You have to protect yourself from those rays at all times on the river!
- Vaseline – Dual purpose, works great to heal chapped lips and helps those cracks you get in your skin (often hands and feet) when you’re constantly living on the river.
- Toothbrush & toothpaste
- Small mirror
- Hair ties and bobby pins
- An “Ouch Pouch” – This contains items you would need to take care of small injuries: band-aids, nail clippers, tweezers, ibuprofen, eye drops.
- Maps – You want to be prepared for the area you are traveling in, even if you think you know it all.
- A compass – Just in case you do need to find your way out with those maps!
- Energy bars – Just a quick snack to keep you going on long paddling days.
- iPod – Who doesn’t travel with an iPod these days? Even on a majestic river, music soothes the soul.
- Cards & bubbles – These are just great for killing time and bonding on overnight trips and I don’t go anywhere without bubbles!