Fun Facts About Durango
By Molly • June 27, 2012
Durango has a long and rich history, and a lot of stories to tell! Check out some of these fun facts about Durango below.
- The name Durango comes from the Basque word “Urango”, which means “water town”. This name is fitting for Durango, as the Animas River runs through town.
- The Denver & Rio Grande Railroad Company founded the town of Durango in 1880, building the Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad by July 1882. Laborers were paid an average of $2.25/day.
- The tracks of the Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad are only 36 inches apart, while standard gauge rails are 56 inches apart.
- The Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad uses approximately 10,000 gallons of water per round-trip and 12,000 pounds of coal, which is shoveled one shovelful at a time
- Durango is located at the intersection of US Highways 160 and 550 and is only 5.6 square miles.
- There are more Durango restaurants per capita than San Francisco.
- The Ancestral Puebloans (formerly referred to as the Anasazi) were the first settlers in the area, but vanished from the Four Corners region around 1300.
- Mesa Verde National Park, home to thousands of archaeological site including ancient cliff dwellings of the Ancestral Puebloans, was established as a National Park in 1906.
- The original name of the Animas River is “El Rio de las Animas Perdidas”, which when translated from Spanish means “The River of Lost Souls”. The river was named after several Spanish explorers were lost while traveling on the river. Their bodies were never found, and the remaining explorers believed the souls of the lost explorers would be relegated to Purgatory.
- Two miles of the Animas River are “Gold Medal” waters, a classification for the highest quality of fishing for large trout. Fly fishing only on this stretch of water.
- The previous legend also explains the original name of Durango’s ski resort, Purgatory. Purgatory Resort has since been renamed Durango Mountain Resort.