Upper Animas River RaftingThe Ultimate Class V Colorado Whitewater Rafting Adventure!
Our First Upper Animas Trip this season is May 9th!!
|Upper Animas River Rafting|
|Location:||Inside the canyon between Durango & Silverton|
|Adventure Level:||High Water: Ultimate High Adventure / Extreme Low Water: Silverton Section: High Adventure Needleton Section: Advanced Intermediate|
|Class:||High Water: Class IV & V with continuous Class II and III
Low Water: Continuous, technical Class II & III with Class IV+ rapids
|Season:||Late May – Early August|
|Restrictions:||Silverton Section: 16 and up
Needleton Section: 14 and up (when mid to lower levels)
Physical fitness essential
Required on river orientation the night before
Wetsuits required (rentals available)
Paddling experience recommended
|Current Water Levels|
Upper Animas River Trip Description:Conquer continuous whitewater and explore 14,000 foot peaks in the most spectacular and entertaining 26 miles of whitewater in Colorado. Considered to be one of the toughest commercially run trips in the United States, the Upper Animas river rafting trip brings adventure enthusiasts from around the world to Durango, Colorado. Cascading creeks and waterfalls pour into the river as you face continuous sections of whitewater that leave your arms shaking from the constant paddling. You will travel on the historic Durango & Silverton Train through the heart of Colorado’s largest wilderness area to access this adventure, a unique and rewarding way to start and/or end your adventure depending on the section you run. All participants must be strong swimmers, in great physical condition, and able to paddle as the boat bounces, spins and submerges! Mandatory pre-trip safety orientation includes a practice raft trip with a swim through a Class II+ or Class III rapid!
As the high water of spring recedes, Upper Animas rafting settles down a bit and becomes suitable for those looking for a great wilderness trip with lots of technical whitewater, but not quite the intensity of high-water runoff in June. As water levels lower in mid summer so does the difficulty of the trip. Age recommendations drop to 14 for the Needleton Section and the trip lowers in intensity from extreme to advanced with one portage for those rafters who are under age 16 or do not want to run the bigger rapid. The ability to walk around the Class V rapids at more moderate water levels allows a larger spectrum of river enthusiasts to experience this magical Colorado rafting trip.
• Does part of your group want a mild trip while you paddle away all day? Check out the Lower Animas Full Day!
• Can’t get enough high adventure?? The Ultimate Whitewater Adventure is your ticket to multi-day fun!
Our One Day Upper Animas River rafting guests only have one regret: missing out on our spectacular, deluxe, private camp and the thrilling rafting of day two! Our unmatched base camp is complete with kitchen tent, pot belly wood burning stove, bathroom teepee, camp tables and chairs, hammocks, horseshoes, games, campfire pit and occasionally a visit from the area’s bear! Then, after your relaxing night in the canyon, you get another spectacular day of whitewater rafting! All of the Animas River rafting trip options are complete when you board the famous Narrow Gauge Railroad, overwhelmed with a sense of accomplishment, for your shuttle out of Colorado’s most imposing canyon.
Click here for directions to our main office in Durango.
Upper Animas Rafting Trip Highlights:
- 100+ rapids
- Three big, class V “Violent” rapids
- 14,000 foot peaks rising from the banks of the river
- Colorado’s largest wilderness area – the famous Weminuche
- Deluxe wilderness, semi-permanent camp
- Two possible one day sections, depending on the flows and your adventure level – Silverton or Needleton
Special Ways We Care for You on The Upper Animas River:
- Guide to customer ratio average is 1 to 4
- Extra Safety boater for every 2-3 rafts, depending on flow
- Train shuttle included in price, $85 value
- Pre-trip, on-river orientation with a practice raft trip and swim
- Extra thick thermal wetsuit rentals – 5mm wetsuits, 2.5mm wetsuit jackets, wetsuit boots, gloves & skull caps
- Satellite/Spot and radio communication for extra safety in the canyon
- Trip leaders average 5,000 river miles (Forest Service requires 1,250)
- Various raft sizes to give you the best adventure at different water flows