By Molly • December 24, 2012
Durango Kayaking Economy Trip
|Season:||April – September|
|Class II and III Rapids
Class I, II & 1 Class III Rapid
|Meet Times:||10:00, 1:30, 3:30 (8:00 Jun 10-Aug 10)|
|Return:||2.5 hours later|
2 hours round trip, 1 hour on water
For those who want to be in control of their own destiny and increase the level of adventure, we offer inflatable kayaks. Inflatable kayaks offer the best of both worlds: the stability of a raft and maneuverability of a kayak. Paddle, spin and surf your way down Durango’s Animas River in your own craft, under the leadership of an instructional guide. No prior experience is necessary.
All of the rivers we run are snowmelt, which means later in the season, all rapids can be downgraded a half to a full Class. Inflatable kayaks are a great way to experience the river at lower water levels as it is easier to maneuver through the rocks that come up from the bottom of the river.
|This could be you! Get ready to navigate your own kayak through the Lower Animas!||Age:||11 & up|
|Cost:||$57* per person|
- Check in, sign release forms and get dressed for the river! Wetsuit and bootie rentals are required through June and highly recommended from July on.
- Five minute shuttle to the river for safety orientation and kayak instructions.
- Hit the river!
- Practice getting in and out of your inflatable kayak at the “Lake”.
- Tackle “Train Bridge Rapid,” “Baby Smelter” and finally the Class III “Smelter Rapid”.
- Take out and shuttle back.
- Arrive back to the office approximately two hours after your departure time.
Related Blogs & Helpful Links:
- Animas River: Ten Reasons Why We Love It
- Other Things To Do In Durango
- Durango Vacation: Soak It Up! The Best Hot Springs to Visit
- Durango Hiking: The Best Hikes from Locals
- Durango Lodging Recommendations